Welcome to Italian week!
This week, I asked Thad (my boyfriend) what he wanted me to make and, without hesitating, suggested “Spaghetti Pizza.” I thought that meant pizza crust with spaghetti on top. Not the case, friends. He meant a baked spaghetti casserole with pizza toppings. This was one of his favorite meals growing up and he was very excited to share it with me. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the time to make it. Instead, (very fortunately!) I came home from work to a nice home cooked meal on Friday night. Below is Thad’s Spaghetti Pizza:
What you’ll need:
- 1 (8 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
In addition, you will want to pick out some of your favorite pizza toppings. For this batch Thad and I went with:
Extra Colby Jack Cheese
How to put this masterpiece all together:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water
- Combine egg, milk, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese, salt, and garlic salt in a large bowl. Stir in cooked spaghetti; mix well.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Spread sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with oregano, basil, and the remaining 1 1/2 cups mozzarella. Top with pepperoni, return to oven, and bake until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
For those of you that know me, know that there is just one half of this dish that has only pepperoni 🙂 This dish is great to make for people with different preferences. We’d also suggest that if you like “saucy” pizza and spaghetti, you should use a second jar of sauce.
Spaghetti Pizza is an easy, yet tastefully enjoyable Italian delight. It makes a great meal for all ages and tastebuds!
Make sure you end with an Italian themed dessert too 🙂